Saturday, May 22, 2010

Windy Disaster at The Poulsen's

A few weeks ago we had a terrific wind storm. The winds were anywhere from 50 to 70 miles an hour. I was at the kids ballgame and when coming home I could hardly see a few feet in front of me. When I crossed over the road on the corner I thought to myself-Where is all of my tree in the yard? I knew some of it was gone and when I pulled into the yard, sure enough, the tree had split and crashed.
John, David and Heather were standing on the deck when it crashed to the ground and smashed the sheds to the east of it. It reached clear to the potato pit. It was pretty freaky! I was so sad. We had our insurance adjuster come out a few days later and they said we would have to take the whole tree down because the rest of it was hanging over the house. I was really sad then. That tree has been in the yard for over 100 years. It was the best shade tree ever.
s
Well, we took it down and then the boys came and helped clean. They worked on the shed and the girls and grandkids raked the yard and filled in the big holes in the yard. I fixed a big supper and they really helped a lot. Then, last night, David came and tore out the whole deck. It took him 3 hours. Our place looks like a war zone, but it is getting better. All the kids have helped so much and John has worked all day in cleaning up around outside. It has been cold and windy, but he has been a real trooper. We will have to put in a new deck and somehow cover up the big stump. We are not rebuilding the shed, but will be putting in a new fence. In a few weeks I hope it will look great. My yard looks kind of lonely without the tree and I'm sure it will be a lot warmer when summer actually gets here. But, for now, I'm just glad it didn't hurt one of the kids or grandkids. We can count our blessings for that.













6 comments:

Poulsen Family said...

It will be interesting to come home and see the changes.

The Foster Bunch said...

Wow it looks so different. I can't wait to see the end result. It will sure make your yard different!!

Angie Robison said...

Sorry about the tree I'm just glad it was that side that split. The other side would have been really bad. Good luck on all the work ahead of you!!

weloveadoption said...

WOW! I guess when I come home next it is going to look quite different. I guess you can count your blessings, it could have even been a lot worse if it had gone the other direction and hit the house.

Brett and Tiffany said...

It does look different! My kids think your yard looks "naked"! That will be something all of the "older" grandkids will remember and they can share stories some day with the younger grandkids that don't remember "the big tree"!

Anonymous said...

Love you blog !

Louis Vuitton Epi Leather Bowling Montaigne GM
Louis Vuitton Seasonal Collection Tahitienne GM