Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Canning Season is in the Air




It is that time of year when we start to put our garden produce in the freezer and in the jars. On Saturday, Lindsay and our new Heather came over and we made 6 batches of raspberry jam. I also did peas that day. Then, on Monday, Tiffany and Courtney came and picked the raspberries, while Heather and I went to Aunt Myrna's and washed all the potatoes to can. I had some beautiful spuds out of my garden. I was pretty excited. After we did the picking and washing, Court made jam, Tif froze berries, Heather, Lindsay, Jaimie, Courtney and I bottled 70 Quarts of potatoes. It was a very full day of being domestic. I finished processing the last batch about 8:00 last night. Everyone will now have spuds in their food storage. They are so nice to pull out and use in a hurry. Next on the list will be beans probably next week. Thanks girls for all the help!!!

8 comments:

Poulsen Family said...

Thanks for letting us take over your house in potatoes. I am so excited to get canning more produce!

johnandjana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
robcallfamily said...

Thanks for helping me get my canning done! Couldn't do it without you. It is such a good feeling to get all of it lined up in my cupboard and know I am a little prepared. You are the greatest!

The Rigby Bunch said...

Way to go girls! I still need to get potatoes canned! And beans are gonna be ready real soon! Don't ya just love this time of year! It's my favorite!

Brett and Tiffany said...

Canning is fun! I went to my garden today and my beans are HUGE! I am going to have to can some in the morning before heading off to Disneyland.

The Foster Bunch said...

Everything sounds so good. I love to have fresh stuff from the garden, and also can some to have for later. What a fun day it must have been to get all of that done.
Next year I think we are going to do a much bigger garden!

Angie Robison said...

WOW!!!! I need to be in your family. You guys are great!!!

weloveadoption said...

I sure wish I could have been there. I have a lot of empty jars and no motivation to even start. It must be easier in a group and when you have other people around to help out with the little ones. I guess I just needed my mom to get me motivated and to tell myself I can do it. "I will go pick my beans, I will go pick my beans, I will go pick my beans."